Bohnett Leadership Fellows
David Bohnett LGBT Leaders Fellowship
To develop a strong cohort of LGBT public officials, the Gay & Lesbian Victory Institute, in collaboration with The David Bohnett Foundation, has over 100 outstanding LGBT leaders to the Harvard Kennedy School’s Senior Executives in State and Local Government program since 2002, and connects these alumni to opportunities for further leadership development.
About the Program
Designed for all senior-level executives working with state and local governments — including government officials and elected officeholders — this intensive, three-week Executive Education program at the Harvard Kennedy School in Cambridge, Massachusetts, hones skills and furthers the leadership potential of accomplished individuals from across the United States. Sessions are held in June and July.
The Bohnett Fellowship provides partial financial assistance to help strong LGBT officials cover the costs of attendance, programming that complements the Senior Executives program, and a growing network of Bohnett Fellowship alumni.
Apply to the 2014 Bohnett Fellowship
To apply for the Bohnett Fellowship, you must apply to both the Harvard Kennedy School and Gay & Lesbian Victory Institute by the EXTENDED DEADLINE of Monday, March 24, 2014. Note that this deadline is earlier than the Harvard Kennedy School general deadline of April 2.
Applicants can choose between two identical sessions of the Senior Executives program: June 2-20 and July 7-25. Programming for Bohnett fellows begins the day before the session begins - June 1 and July 6, respectively.
- Learn about the Senior Executives in State and Local Government program through the Harvard website.
- Read the FAQ for more information about the Bohnett Fellowship and email email@example.com with any questions.
- Find and speak to a Bohnett Fellowship alum about your interests and ask questions about the process.
- Apply to Harvard Kennedy School's Senior Executives in State and Local Government program by March 24. In response to the “Who will be the financial sponsor of your participation?” question, type "Bohnett". Because of the timing of our committee process, the deadline for the Victory Institute is earlier than the Harvard Kennedy School deadline.
- DEADLINE EXTENDED: Apply to the Victory Institute by March 24 with two letters of reference (one from someone who has completed the Senior Executives in State in Local Government program, preferably a Bohnett Fellow, and one from someone who knows and can speak to your leadership/participation within the LGBT movement), and a short paragraph (100 words or less) detailing how you have expressed your commitment to leadership within the LGBT community.
- You will be notified of the decision for the Fellowship in early April.
Not ready to apply?
The 2013 Bohnett Fellows
10 Bohnett Fellows completed the program in 2013.
- Kevin Beckner – County Commissioner, Hillsborough County, Florida
- Tim Brown – State Representative, Ohio
- Beth Bye - State Senator, Connecticut
- Chris Clark - Vice Mayor, Mountain View, California
- Suzy Jack - Deputy Controller, Los Angeles, California
- Ricardo Lara - State Senator, California
- Valley Oehlke – Director of Libraries, Multnomah County, Oregon
- Brian Sims – State Representative, Pennsylvania
- Pat Steadman – State Senator, Colorado
- Jessie Ulibarri – State Senator, Colorado